Full Bio Here
Date & Time
Beatty Street Studios
788 Beatty Street, Floor B2
After Hours Buzzer: 0052
Cost (tax incl)
Auditing is not available for this workshop.
Think making an engaging dramatic audition requires skill? Try comedy.
Comedy is HARD. It’s intricate, fast, and full. It has to appear seamless, there’s no room for error, but it must be original and creative.
We love to laugh, and we want to work with people who can take us there. Funny people get hired.
Learning when and how to adjust from single cam to multi cam (sitcom) and knowing where, when and how to bring comedic relief within a dramatic piece are all skills that build bookings. We should work on that.
So… let’s be FUNNY!
- Find the funny and lightness in leading roles, find the bravado and gems of the character roles.
- Focus on Energy, Strong brave choices, Voice, understanding the jokes and breaking down comic scenes.
- Examine and understand the differences betweeen single camera comedy and multi cam.
- Learn where comedy plays a part in MOW’s, and the certain catergories of MOW’s (ex. Lifetime versus Hallmark)
- Know comedy plays a part in Drama
Then… PRACTICE it all with an award-winning comedy director
Get to know each other, and know the basics. begin the day with exercsies for Improv for Actors, with the motivation of:
- finding the funny
- honing in on instincts: staying sharp, fast and on your toes
- developing characters
- staying in character
- telling a story together
Now that the ice is broken, and we are warmed up, the scenes (given 24 hours beforehand) are auditioned and worked. We work hard, we sweat, and we are rewarded with dynamic, honest, funny characters that are appropriate for the network and type of show they belong in.
New scenes are given for Sunday morning, and actors are paired up.
More improv for actors, specific for the work we are doing:
- Find the gems on the page, learn to recognize the jokes and how they are set up.
- Focus on the the differences between single camera comedy and four camera are played out on camera.
- Technical stuff – blocking, stacking, and terms on set.
Our Director joins us. She’ll watch your work Audition style. You’ll take notes and collaborate in a professional and fun dynamic. Everyone will learn from everyone’s work.
Finally, we’ll wrap with a Q&A. ASK ANYTHING.
Then… go forward… BE FUNNY.
Please complete the following form. Note that payment is required to confirm your registration. When you complete the form and click ‘Submit and Complete Payment’, you’ll be taken to our PayPal form, but if you don’t have a PayPal account you can use any major credit card.
Also note that cancellations will be accepted up to 96 hours after registration is received or 96 hours prior to the start of the class/seminar/workshop (whichever happens first). If you let us know in writing within this time frame, we’ll refund your payment less a $25 processing fee. After this time, your payment is non refundable.